The Ministry of Justice announced that the investigation into the death of black American George Floyd, who died in police custody in Minneapolis, Minnesota, was the “top priority”.
In a statement from the ministry, a team of experienced prosecutors from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) was commissioned as part of a comprehensive investigation into whether police officers involved in the violation of federal law.
- The investigation will be conducted jointly by the Minnesota District Attorney’s Office, the Department of Justice Civil Rights Unit and the FBI’s Minneapolis Field Office.
- Protest demonstrations began in the city on Wednesday, following images of Floyd’s breath-taking while detained by the police and then lying motionless.
Philonise Floyd, brother of George Floyd, who died, told CNN television that he was tired of seeing black men dead and understood the anger of people, but also called on the demonstrators not to resort to violence.
Floyd said, “I want the police to do their job properly. They should start doing their jobs properly because I cannot see how much it is. ”
Call from the White House to protesters
- White House Spokesperson Kayleigh McEnany also called on demonstrators to stop violence and rain on Thursday.
- Speaking to Fox News television, McEnany said, “Everyone has the right to protest, no doubt about it. However, this needs to be done in a peaceful and lawful manner. ”
- The authorities had announced the identities of the involved police officers as Derek Chauvin, Thomas Lane, Tou Thao and J Alexander Kueng, but did not share the name of the police officer who had pressed Floyd’s neck with a knee. Local media reported that this person was Chauvin.
On the Change.org website, more than 1.1 million signatures were collected to arrest the four police officers involved in the incident and formally prosecute them.
According to the information obtained from the Reuters news agency’s police disciplinary records, it was stated that one of the police officers involved in the incident received a letter of condemnation in 2007 on the grounds that the police had violated the cell phone and video recording policy.
According to Reuters, the Star Tribune newspaper also wrote that another police officer, Thao, who is said to be involved in the incident, is one of the two officers who were sued for using disproportionate force. According to the newspaper, the case fell as a result of the $ 25,000 deal reached between the parties.
The restaurant where he worked was unemployed due to an epidemic.
New details about George Floyd’s life story have also emerged. According to the Associated Press, the Floyd Corona virus was one of the millions of Americans who lost their jobs during the epidemic.
According to a friend of George Floyd, Floyd was one of the star players in his high school’s football team, who lived in Houston, Texas, in a predominantly black neighborhood. He was nicknamed “The Gentle Giant”.
Floyd, who was charged with armed robbery in Houston in 2007 and sentenced to 5 years in prison in 2009, moved to Minneapolis to find a job and start a new life after he left prison, according to his close friend. Floyd, who once worked for two jobs, was last working as a guard at a restaurant.
He lost his job when the restaurant, where he worked as part of the Minnesota Governorship’s measures against the epidemic, closed. Floyd’s 6-year-old daughter is reportedly living in Houston with her mother.
On Monday, a market employee in Minneapolis called the police on the grounds that Floyd was trying to issue a fake 20 dollar bill, and the moment he was detained and handcuffed by the police was reflected in the images taken on his cell phone.
In the images, it was seen that white police officer Derek Chauvin pressed Floyd’s throat with a knee, and four police officers were exposed after the incident.
Police claimed that Floyd resisted while being detained. However, no explanation has been received from this lawyer from Chauvin’s lawyers.